As I reflect back on the start of this school year, I must say that our district theme “We are Canfield” was the perfect fit! We successfully renewed our operating levy which enables the district to maintain day-to-day operations without interruption, such as utilities, technology, transportation, staffing, and classroom supplies. Additionally, it permits the district to increase safety and security measures as well as continue to expand course offerings and opportunities for students. Furthermore, we enjoyed a fantastic start to the school year in the academics, arts and athletic arenas culminating with a trip to the State Championship football game where the Cardinals became the Division III Champions, a first for Canfield!
We have also been busy addressing time specific goals in our five year Strategic Plan that was adopted in May 2022. Implementation has included the following objectives:
- Goal 2: Communications - Enact tactics to address student relocation to other school districts. Continue to promote positive events, staff and student profiles and any other notable achievements regarding the Canfield Local Schools in an attempt to maintain student populations.
- Goal 4: Facilities, Safety and Security - Review all aspects of physical security throughout the district; recommend changes to policy and application of best practice strategies; ensure consistent application of security protocol/procedures for district buildings and after-school activities; conduct a study of traffic plans and patterns during drop-off and pick-up times, both at the high school and at Hilltop Elementary.
- Creating a projected final assessment of future facilities needs in concert with the master facilities plan; provide community updates related to potential project opportunities, cost, bond issue resources and/or potential OFCC development. Continue to communicate all findings and processes to families and the greater community
- Goal 7: Human Resources - Advance school spirit through proactively planned activities and experiences; create consistent opportunities to display district pride and to celebrate student and staff accomplishments; establish district-wide standards for external display of school spirit in all buildings.
- Returned the senior mentoring program allowing high school seniors to tutor younger students.
We are blessed to announce being recipients of two $5,000 STEM grants at C.H. Campbell and Hilltop Elementary Schools to expand STEM learning projects through Ohio STEM Learning Network Classroom Grant Program, funded by Battelle. The Hilltop Elementary School project title is SPIKE the Interest in STEM with Lego Robotics and the C.H. Campbell Elementary project title is Forging STEM: One Brick at a Time. Congratulations to teachers Mrs. Patti Hockensmith and Mrs. Stephanie Palumbo for receiving the awards.
The Canfield Local School District was also awarded a $400,000 safety grant through the Ohio K-12 School Safety Grant Program. Funds can be used to cover expenses associated with physical security enhancements such as security cameras, public address systems, automatic door locks, visitor badging systems, and exterior lighting.? A special thanks to Mr. John Vitto and our school resource officers for completing vulnerability assessments on each of our buildings.
Canfield Village Middle School - $100,000
C.H. Campbell Elementary - $100,000
Canfield High School - $100,000
Hilltop Elementary - $100,000
On behalf of the Board of Education and administration, we wish everyone a fantastic 2023 and look forward to the successes it will bring! We are Canfield!
Joe Knoll, Superintendent