Several important factors are taken into consideration when the cancellation of school (or delaying the start of a school day) is in question. The decision is based on careful analysis of all relevant factors including:
- road conditions throughout the district
- the amount of snow and/or ice
- the weather forecast including temperature and wind chill factors
- the safety of students who require transportation
- the safety of students who walk to school
- the ability of staff to sufficiently clear sidewalks and parking lots
We make every effort NOT to delay or close school if cold is the only factor in consideration, outside of truly extreme instances. On days that it is cold, please make sure to dress your youngster appropriately.
We will make every effort to announce a decision before 6:00 a.m. on the day of school and at times the prior evening. On rare occasions, we may be forced to delay or cancel school after 6:00 a.m. or change a delay to a cancellation. Therefore, please continue to check our communication sources on days when there is a question about road conditions or extreme cold. Please watch our website, our Twitter, and the local media. We will also make a call home. Please note that if school is cancelled all evening activities and practices are cancelled.
Two-Hour Delay Procedure
- When a two-hour delay announcement is made, continue to monitor the website and listen to local media for updated information. If conditions deteriorate, a decision will be made to close school for the day by 7:30 a.m.
- During a delayed-start situation, morning bus transportation will be delayed two hours from normal pick-up times. This will apply to all students, including vocational and special needs students. Students are required to be at their bus stop five (5) minutes early even though buses could be running slow due to weather conditions. Please be sure to dress your children appropriately.
- When school is delayed, it is important that you DO NOT send or drop off your children at school prior to the delayed start time.
- The lunch program will run as usual with some possible changes in serving times and/or menus.
- School dismissal will remain at the normal time when school is delayed.
- Scheduled co-curricular activities will be adjusted according to the district needs.
Once we are in school, we will almost never close early. We could possibly release buses 5-15 minutes early if the weather is bad to try and stay on schedule.
Please know that whether or not school is open, you as a parent are the one who will finally decide whether or not your child should go to school. If you feel that your child’s journey to school is not safe, please feel comfortable in exercising your choice to allow your child to stay home.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation and understanding.